Tuesday 12 April 2011

Tempermental Characters

My characters are bothering me again - so demanding!

Here I am writing a great emotional scene between my two ladies and in the middle of it, Shayla, stops co-operating and looks at me.

"I do not wring my hands. I'm not the type of person to do that.  And I don't cry. I may sniff a bit or wipe my eyes, but I do not cry. Nadie does all that." She raises her chin at me and I know she's in one of her stubborn moods. Perhaps not a good time to remind her that I've seen a few tears on her cheeks, or that Kris held her in his arms while she had a good cry.

Okay, okay. You're right, Shayla.

Nadua frowns at her cousin; then looks at me. "Don't make me wring my hands. I'm not that weak. I may be more patient and sensitive than Shay, but that doesn't make me weak. I have inner strength."

I'll be true to you, Nadua.

Another woman's voice floats into the conversation. "Why are you so sensitive to them? I want you to fix my character. You're making me look shallow."

Lady Louisa, you're not even in this scene.

"I'm not in any scene. I don't even appear in your first novel, so I can't even defend myself from what Kristjan is thinking about me."

Too bad. Get over it.

"Lady Louisa?" Shayla's green eyes narrow. "Kris didn't tell me he was engaged to Lady Louisa. Where is he? I need to talk with him."

He's not in this scene. You'll talk with him in the next chapter.

"I want to see him, now." Shayla stamps her foot.

Stop hijacking the story, Shayla, or I'll make you wring your hands. 

I click on Save, and sit back in my chair. Ah, peace and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment